Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Worth It


I've been racking my brain the past couple of weeks to come up with some tasteful, eloquent way to discuss an awkward topic: money. Specifically, asking for more of it. I've been hoping some deep, reflective verse or quote would come to mind but, all that keeps playing through my head is Fifth Harmony's "Worth It."....Gimme gimme I'm worth it. Uh huh I'm worth it.....Not exactly tasteful or eloquent. But, nonetheless, it gets the message across. It has come to my attention lately that I'm not charging enough- anywhere near enough. The decorated cookie business is booming. Lots of new people on the scene and that excites me. I love that people love buying them and love that people are finding joy in making them. Both of those things are good for me!

When I started making gluten free decorated cookies a few years ago, there really wasn't much basis of comparison for me to know what to charge. I came up with a number that seemed reasonable for me the decorator and reasonable for potential clients. I basically threw mud and stood back to see what would stick. I started at $30 a dozen and have worked up to $36 a dozen only recently. But now that the arena is growing, I have a clear basis of comparison. $36 a dozen is the bottom of the market rate, locally in Arkansas and nationally (per all the fellow cookier friends on Instagram). Brand new decorators on the scene are charging $36 a dozen. Experienced, highly skilled decorators can be near $50. And I haven't mentioned the fact that my gluten free ingredients are FIVE TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE per the jumbo bag of flour at Sam's. I know of atleast 2 bakeries with similar decorating that charge $5 per gluten free decorated cookie! Whoa. I won't do that to you. But I've simply been feeling a bit like I offer a luxury vehicle but have been charging for a Nissan. And Nissans are AWESOME! I drive one. Lots of people love and want Nissans! I'm just not a Nissan dealer. It's no wonder I had WAY more business than I could handle! The up side is that this may mean that I end up taking custom orders again. ;) There really is something to be said, in ALL areas of life, for being compensated what you know you're worth.

I didn't want to blind side long-time customers with the sudden change in price. I felt you needed to know why. So there it is in all it's awkward glory. Going forward I will charge atleast $3.50 per cookie. I'm SO blessed and grateful for all of you over the years and hope to continue to provide you with yummy, beautiful gluten free goodness!!!

1 comment:

  1. My name is Charles David,I am a Citizen Of USA.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Mr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $320.000 some days ago after been scammed of $4500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $320.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:{urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:

    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Website You Heard About Us?......
    Email Him at: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete